Monday, April 16, 2007

The Joys of Parenting

My kid cracks me up. When I hear him bound down the stairs and head for the front door, I can never tell what manner of dress (or undress) he is in. Among his notable combinations: a long-sleeved camo t-shirt paired with white and red striped basketball shorts, brown socks and royal blue crocs. He's 7 1/2...he knows better...how many times have we had the "matching" discussion!

It is a balancing act...allowing individual expression and decision-making without total parental embarrassment and fear of social service intervention. (And, they tell me girls are worse!)

JB had drill this weekend, so it was just me and my little man. I was largely engrossed in homework when I began to hear the drawers open and close and the clomping down the stairs. He was making a break for the outside. I yelled, "WB, what are you wearing?" I hear him stop-dead in his tracks. "What?" This is generally the response that reflects that he's been BUSTED! I repeat my question, "What are you wearing?" And he says, "Don't worry Mom, I'm occasionable."

What the ??? Occasionable? "Occasionable?" I ask. "Yeah, I'm OK to go outside." "WB, what does occasionable mean? Let me see" I say. "You know, acceptable...I am ready to go", he says as he appears at my bedroom door. He's wearing a long-sleeved white t-shirt, gray wind pants with a white stripe and white tennis shoes.

He's very proud to show that he matches. He sports a devilish grin and the most beautiful blue eyes. He's left the brown socks in the drawer and he is, without a doubt, the most occasionable boy I've ever seen.

I can't wait for the Can Tho moms to get their little boys and begin to feel these joys! Happy Travels to you all!!

2 comments:

Dianna said...

Oh I love it! A new word to add to my vocabulary! :) :) :)

My 8 year old daughter is VERY into looking 'fashionable' at all times, so we don't have the matching issue. Our main problem right now is keeping her out of her cute summer clothes when it's still freezing outside!

Anonymous said...

"Occasionable" - I love it! Kids are the greatest.

Adoption Timeline

  • 01/01/08 - Home at Last
  • 12/24/07 - G & R
  • 12/18/07 - Travel
  • 12/7/07 - Travel Packet/VISA Authorization
  • 12/06/07 - I-600 Approval
  • 11/16/07 - I-600 Received for Review
  • 09/26/07 - Referral
  • 03/23/07 - Log in Date
  • 02/23/07 - Dossier to Vietnam
  • 02/08/07 - Dossier to Agency
  • 08/08/06 - Switched to Vietnam Program from China Program