Monday, January 11, 2010

If My House Were Burning...


I'd save you!

As much as I try not to be, I can get pretty caught up sometimes in "things". Things can make me smile. They can bring a memory that has been tucked away in the back of my mind to the front, changing my thoughts and direction. They make me miss times gone by and often, special people that are no longer sharing my life.

My most important "things" don't always come with price tags. Many times they weren't even purchased. I've been blessed with many generous, thoughtful gifts in my life and many of those items are my "things".

Though I don't come from a particularly close, strong or tradition-based family, some of my "things" are family items. There's the Walker step stool. My grandpa Walker worked with wood as a hobby and in the early days, he made step stools for those getting married and having kids. Among your wedding or new baby gifts, you'd find a beautiful oak stool engraved by his shaky hand. Everyone has one. We've got three and they all get used...every day. Even though he's been gone for 10 years, his legacy lives on in those stools. My brother, Big, picked up the tradition so all new babies will be able to reach the sink as they grow.

I have this crazy blue porcelain bowl that we bought when we lived in Japan. You'd never know how much I love it because I keep it up on a shelf...hidden so the monsters don't have a chance at breaking it! (It's high too...they can't even reach it with a Walker stool!) I sometimes take it down just to hold it and stare at its beauty and remember our carefree years living overseas. It is interesting the things I love...the things I obsess about...silly.little.things.

At the top of my list today...the crazy guy from above...



...the table and chairs, loving built ten years ago (by Big) to match WB's jungle nursery. (Painted by his then-wife...I love the hair on dude's legs...and the overly worn map of the Congo.) It reminds me of my babies eating in my kitchen...of JB's knees popping as he squats down to sit in a too-small chair and eat dinner with Little Sister...and of how time flies when you are watching babies grow.

So...if your house were on fire, what would you grab? Have you ever been asked that question? (And, don't say your scrapbook, everyone says that!) This isn't a good question to ask me. Really, it isn't. I've come to realize that I probably won't make it out of my burning house alive, for there are too many "things" that I love.

5 comments:

Julie said...

Besides the usual, kid, animals and pictures I have to say my Grandmother's engagement ring and pearls. It's not lavish expensive jewelry but treasures that I hold close to my heart.

Leigh said...

Those are the best kind Julie! As the boy grows, so will the list of items that you'll sacrifice air for.

Heather M. said...

Well, I wouldn't make it out alive either because all of my bookcases & china cabinets would have to be emptied out! Really! OK....a few special things: The boys old & tattered blankets & teddy bears I have in my china cab., Caleigh's teddy bear & blankies, wedding/Photo albums, computers, camera, several of the pictures on my walls that came out of my great, great grandparents home. Oh, and....LOL! There's too much! Maybe I need to simplify!

Tricia said...

Too many to mention. Things to make me happy - things that have memories. Christmas ornaments are my biggest issue and they are in the garage attic. How do I get those out?

Kim said...

That is funny, I would most likely burn too. I don't like to think of myself as materialistic, but things hold memories for me too. I have a bear called Andrea Bear. My best friend died 8 years ago (yesterday). The bear is made from one of her shirts. I would have to take that....along with my scrapbooks and Dylan memories and my camera I love.....ok....ok.....not much would be left behind!

Adoption Timeline

  • 01/01/08 - Home at Last
  • 12/24/07 - G & R
  • 12/18/07 - Travel
  • 12/7/07 - Travel Packet/VISA Authorization
  • 12/06/07 - I-600 Approval
  • 11/16/07 - I-600 Received for Review
  • 09/26/07 - Referral
  • 03/23/07 - Log in Date
  • 02/23/07 - Dossier to Vietnam
  • 02/08/07 - Dossier to Agency
  • 08/08/06 - Switched to Vietnam Program from China Program